MASTER ACADEMY OF GENERAL DENTISTRY
Dr. Sam. G. Shamoon
Dentist in Berkley, MIToday's Smile Center
As a young man, Sam Shamoon consistently set his vision to exceed expectations and had an insatiable desire to learn. Grades? Awards? Dentistry is more than his profession, it’s his passion. He takes vacation time to attend conferences, trainings and classes. He is also a strong advocate for dentistry and safe, high quality delivery of dental care to the public.
Dr. Shamoon is committed to extensive participation in continuing dental education. Currently, he partakes in 150-180 hours annually of post graduate advanced continuing education, which exceeds the state requirements for licensure (20 hours annually).
Dr. Shamoon graduated from the University of Detroit in 1985 with a degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS). He met his wife, Rosemary, right out of school in private practice. She was the office manager at the dental practice, after graduating in 1980 as a dental technician. “I met my beautiful wife, Rosemary, when I was just out of dental school. She was working in the dental practice I had joined and I was taken with her charm and professionalism. Within 6 months of meeting her, I asked her to marry me and she said, “Yes!” They are proud of their three sons, who are high-achieving students in high school and college and volunteer at various charities.
“Rosemary joined me to help run our practice in 1991. We have chosen to keep our practice small because we like the family atmosphere. Rosemary has set the tone for our office as a caring family and she and Nora keep it inviting and running efficiently.
Dr. Shamoon selected the location of Berkley, Michigan for his practice because of the welcoming community and central location. Its location just off of Woodward Avenue on 11 Mile Road and only a mile north of I-696 makes it easily accessible to patients from Royal Oak, Clawson and Birmingham as well as Ferndale, Warren, Southfield and Farmington.
In his spare time, Dr. Shamoon enjoys Backgammon with his father, educational seminars and course work, time with his family and is a 3rd Degree Black Belt (though he won’t tell us what year he earned it!).
He received a Fellowship award from the Academy of General Dentistry in July of 1994. This is an academic and a clinical achievement award given to those who complete a minimum of 500 hours of continued dental education and satisfactory completion of a special Fellowship examination. Dr. Shamoon also received his Mastership award from the Academy of General Dentistry in August of 2001 (which requires additional 600 hours of continued dental education that are primarily hand-on and/or with clinical participation).
In July of 2009 Dr. Shamoon received the Lifelong Learning & Service Recognition (LLSR) Award for his commitment to lifelong learning, volunteer services to communities in need, mentorship to associates and new dentists and participation in organized dentistry. The LLSR is a formal acknowledgment of the AGD Mastership awardees. AGD Masters who receive this additional recognition must have completed more than 1,600 hours of continuing dental education in all disciplines of dentistry, including 550 hours dedicated to hands-on skills and techniques and more than 100 hours of service to the community primarily through the Royal Oak Rotary Club.
Dr. Shamoon is a member in good standing of the Academy of General Dentistry where he has served as the Continuing Dental Education Committee Founder and Chairman from 1991 to present, the Wolverine FastTrack Mastership program Director from 1999 to present, and served as president to the Michigan Academy of General Dentistry in 1996-1997 and 2005-2006. He is currently the Academy of General Dentistry Board Trustee representing Michigan and Wisconsin. He is also an Adjunct Faculty in the Biomedical Sciences Department as well as on the Continuing Education Advisory Committee at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry.
He is also a member of American Academy of Functional Orthodontics, Holistic Dental Association, International Dental Health Foundation and The Cranial Academy (A Component Society of the American Academy of Osteopathy). Dr. Shamoon was a member of Delta Dental of Michigan Advisory Committee from 1992 to 1999. His public associations include Rotary International from 1987-Present with membership in the Ferndale Rotary Club (1987-1995), the Berkley Rotary Club (1995-2002), and the Royal Oak Rotary Club (2002-2012). He served as the treasurer for the Royal Oak Rotary Club and Foundation (2007-2011).
- American Student Dental Association Table Clinic Award
- Cleft Lip and Palate Treatment & Management 1983
- Academy of General Dentistry Fellow Academy of General Dentistry 1994
- Master Academy of General dentistry 2001
- Michigan Academy of General Dentistry Recognition of Service Award 1996
- Leadership and Dental Education Award 1998
- The Distinguished Service Award 2000 In Consideration of Services To The Dental Profession
- The Distinguished Service Award 2002 For Outstanding Continuing Education Programs And The Development And Expansion of The Master Track Program
- The Distinguished Service Award in 2007 for Recognition of Outstanding Service In The Advancement of the Michigan Academy of General Dentistry
- The Distinguished Service Award in 2011 For Recognition For Continued Success of The Continuing Education Program of The Michigan Academy of General Dentistry
- University of Detroit School of Dentistry – Adjunct Faculty
- W. G. Sutherland Temporomandibulo-Cranial Dental Group – Faculty Instructor
- Certificate of Competency in the Dental-Cranial Field
- Michigan Academy of General Dentistry – Director-MasterTrack Program
- Holistic Dental Association – Program Presenter-Cranial Osteopathy
- Academy of General Dentistry – Program Presenter
- The Cranial Letter – Volume 61, Number 4 (Nov. 2008) Dental Corner – “Temporomandibular Lesion”.
- The Cranial Letter – Volume 62, Number 1 (Feb. 2009), Dental Corner – “Life Saved By Not Being Able to Do a CV4″.
- Academy of General Dentistry – Best Practices Website (Feb. 2011).
- Michigan AGD Annual Meeting Membership Manual FREE Regional CE Programs.